The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Suicide bombing kills 7 in rebel-held Yemen capital Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Suicide bombing kills 7 in rebel-held Yemen capital

Both Sunnis and Shias pray at al-Nour mosque in the northwest of the capital [Getty]

Date of publication: 7 October, 2015

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
A suicide bombing outside a mosque in Yemen's capital killed seven people, as the country's exiled government vows to stay in Aden despite an Islamic State attack on its headquarters.

A suicide bombing outside a mosque in Yemen's insurgent-held capital killed seven people, rebel media and witnesses said Wednesday.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but similar attacks have been carried out in the past by the Sunni extremist group Islamic State [IS], which has targeted Houthi rebels who control Sanaa.

A man wearing an explosives belt blew himself up on Tuesday evening among a group of Houthi rebels guarding al-Nour mosque, where both Sunnis and Shias pray in the northwest of the capital, witnesses said.

The attack left "seven citizens dead and wounded three others," the rebel-controlled sabanews.net website reported.

IS claimed responsibility for a similar bombing in Sanaa on September 24 that killed 25 people.

Meanwhile, Yemen's government has said it will stay in the country's temporary capital Aden despite a deadly Islamic State group attack on its headquarters which lightly wounded several ministers.

After a meeting late on Tuesday, the cabinet acknowledged that the attacks earlier in the day had been car bombings as claimed by IS and not rocket attacks by Houthi rebels as initially reported by government officials.

Two bombs targeted the government's temporary headquarters in Aden's al-Qasr Hotel, lightly wounding several ministers although Prime Minister Khaled Bahah escaped unharmed. Two guards were killed.

Two more bombs hit military installations used by Saudi-led coalition troops, who have been battling the Houthi rebels since March in support of the Yemeni government.

IS claimed the attacks and published the names and photographs of the four suicide bombers it said had carried them out.

It was the first time that the extremist group had claimed attacks on government and coalition targets.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More