Breaking News
Saudi-led coalition used cluster bombs in Yemen: Amnesty Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Saudi-led coalition used cluster bombs in Yemen: Amnesty

Since the conflict began in 2015, over 7,400 have been killed and 40,000 wounded [AFP]

Date of publication: 9 March, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Amnesty International accused the Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting rebels in Yemen of using banned cluster munitions in raids on residential areas.
The Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting rebels in Yemen used banned cluster munition in raids on civilian areas, Amnesty International found on Thursday.

The Saudi-led coalition fired Brazilian-manufactured munitions on three residential districts and agricultural land in Saada province of northern Yemen, a stronghold of the Zaydi-Shia Houthi rebels, Amnesty said in a statement.

The coalition also used cluster munitions in October 2015 and May of last year, Amnesty reported.

The Saudi-led coalition "absurdly justifies its use of cluster munitions by claiming it is in line with international law, despite concrete evidence of the human cost to civilians caught up in the conflict", said Lynn Maalouf, research director at Amnesty's Beirut regional office.

"Cluster munitions are inherently indiscriminate weapons that inflict unimaginable harm on civilian lives," she said.

Amnesty called for Brazil "to join the Convention on Cluster Munitions and for Saudi Arabia and coalition members to stop all use of cluster munition".

Separately, Human Rights Watch in December accused the coalition of firing Brazilian-made rockets containing the outlawed munitions near two schools in Saada, killing two civilians and wounding six including a child.

The coalition absurdly justifies its use of cluster munitions by claiming it is in line with international law, despite concrete evidence of the human cost to civilians caught up in the conflict
- Lynn Maalouf, Amnesty International

The 6 December came a day after Saudi Arabia joined the US and Brazil in abstaining from a UN General Assembly vote that overwhelmingly endorsed an international ban on cluster bomb use.

The weapons can contain dozens of smaller bomblets that disperse over large areas, often continuing to kill and maim civilians long after they are dropped.

The Saudi-led coalition, which has come under repeated criticism over civilian casualties in Yemen, acknowledged in December it had made "limited use" of British-made cluster bombs but said it had stopped using them.

According to the UN, the conflict in Yemen has left more than 10,000 dead and 40,000 wounded since the coalition intervened on the government's side in March 2015.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More