The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Top Yemen brass dies after Houthi drone strike on loyalist airbase Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Top Yemen brass dies after Houthi drone strike on loyalist airbase

The drone strike struck a parade at the Al-Anad airbase [Getty]

Date of publication: 13 January, 2019

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Intelligence Brigadier General Saleh Tamah, who was wounded on Thursday in a strike on a military parade in al-Anad air base, died on Sunday.
A high-ranking Yemeni intelligence official injured in a Houthi rebel drone attack on the country's largest airbase died of his wounds on Sunday, medical sources said.

Intelligence Brigadier General Saleh Tamah was wounded on Thursday in a strike on a military parade in al-Anad airbase, in government-held Lahj province some 60 kilometres (40 miles) north of Yemen's second city and temporary capital Aden.

Medical sources told AFP that Tamah underwent several surgeries in a hospital in Aden but died on Sunday morning.

At least seven loyalists - including Tamah - were killed and 11 injured in Thursday's incident, which threatens to hamper United Nations-led peace efforts. 

Among those injured were Yemen's deputy chief of staff Saleh al-Zandani, senior army commander Fadel Hasan and Lahj governor Ahmad Abdullah al-Turki.

Turki and Zandani were transported to Saudi Arabia for treatment, a Yemeni official told AFP

The UN voiced alarm on Friday following the attack and urged "all parties to the conflict to exercise restraint and refrain from further escalation". 

At talks in Sweden last month, the UN brokered several agreements between the Houthi rebels and the Saudi-backed government seen as the best chance of ending nearly four years of devastating conflict. 

The warring sides agreed on truce deals for the key rebel-held aid port of Hodeida and battleground third city Taiz.

The rebel-held port city, which is a lifeline for the delivery of desperately needed humanitarian aid, was for months the main front line in the Yemeni conflict after government forces supported by Saudi Arabia and its allies launched an offensive to capture it in June.

The rebel-held port city, which is a lifeline for the delivery of desperately needed humanitarian aid, was for months the main front line in the Yemeni conflict after government forces supported by Saudi Arabia and its allies launched an offensive to capture it in June.

The conflict has unleashed the world's worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN, which says 80 percent of the population - 24 million people - are in need of aid.

Diplomatic efforts

The United Nations has said the truce has largely held since it came into force on December 18 but there have been delays in the agreed pullback of rebel and government forces.

The Houthis control most of Hodeida while government forces are deployed on its southern and eastern outskirts.

UN aid coordinator Lise Grande visited Hodeida on Friday and met local officials, the head of Yemen's National Authority for the Administration and Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Jaber al-Razahi, said.

"The reason for the visit of UN humanitarian coordinator Lisa Grande to Hodeida is to see the humanitarian situation... and ensure the arrival of aid through the port," Eazahi said.

After meeting Yemen’s President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi, UN envoy Martin Griffiths warned on Wednesday that "substantial progress" was needed to advance peace efforts in Yemen before new talks can be held on ending the devastating war.

Addressing the Security Council, Griffiths said he was still "hopeful" that negotiations to follow up on a ceasefire deal reached last month in Sweden will be held "in the near future."

The breakthrough at the Sweden talks buoyed hopes of an end to the conflict, but the envoy's statement underscored that the diplomatic gains toward peace were fragile and the pace of progress slower than anticipated. 

"Both sides have largely adhered to the ceasefire and there has been a significant decrease in hostilities," Griffiths told the council by video-conference from Amman.

Talks are ongoing on a redeployment of forces from Hodeida, providing security in the city and opening up access routes to allow humanitarian convoys to reach millions in dire need of food aid, he added.

A meeting will be held in Amman next week to follow up on an agreed prisoner swap that could pave the way to an airlift of "many, many thousands" of detainees from both sides.

"It is my view and it is shared by the leadership of both parties, but also others, that substantial progress, particularly on Hodeida of course, is something that we would like to see before we reconvene the next consultations," said Griffiths.

Griffiths briefed the Security Council after a round of shuttle diplomacy in the region including talks with rebel leaders in Sanaa and Hadi in Riyadh on shoring up the ceasefire deal.

The United Nations is working to schedule a new round of talks, possibly in Kuwait, to build on the Stockholm agreement and advance toward a final deal to end the conflict.

The war between the Houthis and troops loyal to the government escalated in March 2015, when President Hadi fled to Saudi Arabia and the Riyadh-led coalitionintervened.

The conflict has unleashed the world's worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN, which says 80 percent of the population - 24 million people - are in need of aid.  

Nearly 10 million people are just one step away from famine, UN aid chief Mark Lowcock warned.

Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More