The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Islamic State group claims responsibility for London Streatham knife attack Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Islamic State group claims responsibility for London Streatham knife attack

Police on Monday named the attacker as a recently-released convicted terrorist [Getty]

Date of publication: 3 February, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The Islamic State group have claimed responsibility for a London knife attack in which two people were injured.
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for a knife attack in London, the extremist group’s Amaq news agency said on Monday.

"The perpetrator of the attack in Streatham district in south London yesterday is a fighter of Islamic State, and carried out the attack in response to calls to attack the citizens of coalition countries," a statement released by the militant group's AMAQ via Telegram said.

The statement gave no evidence to back the claim.

British police on Monday identified the perpetrator of the London attack as 20-year-old Sudesh Amman, a convicted terrorist who was granted early release from prison in January. Amman, who was wearing a fake suicide vest, was shot on a busy road in south London after attacking two people with a knife.

Amman was jailed for three years and four months in December 2018 for 13 separate offences. He had been arrested in London in May 2018 on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack.

He was also known to have shared al-Qaeda-related material and encouraged his girlfriend to behead her parents.

Speaking after a meeting with EU officials on Monday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that there needs to be
"fundamental changes to the system for dealing with those convicted of terrorism offences".

London Mayor Sadiq Khan, however, hit out at the prime minister over his alleged failure to step up security measures following the terror attack at London Bridge in November.

"These were men convicted of terrorist related offences and I have been frustrated for some time about changes to the law in 2012 which took away from judges the power they used to have to give a sentence to protect the public - an indeterminate sentence - and to make sure people weren't released unless we knew they were no longer a danger," Khan said in an interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"I'm angry because some of the reassurances we were given by the government in November haven't been realised," he added.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More