The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
5 killed, dozens wounded in Tripoli shelling according to Libyan official Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

5 killed, dozens wounded in Tripoli shelling according to Libyan official

The forces have attacked as the country struggles with coronavirus [Getty]

Date of publication: 7 May, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
It was the latest attack on Tripoli by the eastern forces’ commander Khalifa Haftar.

Artillery shelling by Libya's eastern-based forces killed five civilians and wounded dozens in the capital, Tripoli, an official with the country's U.N.-supported government said Thursday.

It was the latest attack on Tripoli by the eastern forces’ commander Khalifa Haftar, who launched a push last year to capture the city. The fighting, which has killed hundreds of civilians and displaced tens of thousands, has mostly stalemated in recent months.

Libya has been in turmoil since 2011, when a civil war toppled long-time dictator Moammar Gadhafi, who was later killed. The country has since 2015 been split between rival administrations in the east and the west, each backed by armed groups supported by an array of foreign powers.

Hifter’s offensive is supported by France and Russia, as well as Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and other key Arab countries.

The government in Tripoli is backed by Turkey, which deployed troops and mercenaries to help defend the capital in January, as well as by Italy and Qatar.

Mercenaries, mainly from the Syria battlefield, are now fighting on both sides and complicating the already complex proxy war.

Meanwhile, a report by U.N. experts monitoring sanctions against Libya obtained earlier this week said that a private Russian security company has provided between 800 and 1,200 mercenaries to support Haftar's offensive on the capital.

Haftar's artillery on Wednesday hit two Tripoli neighborhoods, Tajoura and Abu Salim, according to Amin al-Hashemi, the Health Ministry's spokesman with the Tripoli-based government.

Children and paramedics were among the 46 civilians wounded in the shelling, al-Hashemi added.

“This the first time since the beginning of 2020 that residential neighborhoods are that intensively targeted,” he said.

Read More: The day after annexation: Israel, Palestine and the one-state reality

Earlier this week, the International Criminal Court’s prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said her office is working on new arrest warrants for possible war crimes committed in Libya.

Attacks on civilians may constitute crimes under the Rome Statute that established the ICC, she said, adding that military commanders will be held accountable for crimes committed by their forces.

The fighting over Tripoli has intensified in recent weeks despite U.N. calls for a cease-fire to allow authorities to focus on curbing the spread of the coronavirus. Libya has so far recorded 64 virus cases, including three deaths.

The pandemic could possibly devastate war-torn Libya, where a decade-long conflict has ravaged key infrastructure and created dire medical shortages.

Additional reporting from agencies.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More