The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Palestinian Authority closes West Bank cities as coronavirus cases spike Open in fullscreen

The New Arab Staff & Agencies

Palestinian Authority closes West Bank cities as coronavirus cases spike

Palestinian PM Mohammed Shtayyeh announced the closure at a press conference [Getty]

Date of publication: 21 June, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The Palestinian Authority says that it will temporarily close the cities of Hebron and Nablus due to a rise in the number of coronavirus cases.

The Palestinian Authority on Saturday said it was temporarily closing the cities of Hebron and Nablus in the occupied West Bank to contain the spread of coronavirus after a sharp rise in infections.

"The government decided to close the governorate of Hebron to prevent anyone from entering or exiting, with the exception of the transport of merchandise," Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammed Shtayyeh said.

He told a news conference that Hebron would be closed for five days and Nablus for 48 hours.

The measures come after an increase in Covid-19 infections in both cities. Last month the Palestinian Authority lifted lockdown measures when cases decreased.

Hebron saw 48 new cases on Saturday, bringing the total to 258, while authorities have reported 23 cases in Nablus.

Authorities have reported a total of 687 cases in the West Bank, including two deaths so far.

Israel has previously hampered Palestinian efforts to deal with the coronavirus outbreak, demolishing a makeshift clinic, and preventing Palestinian police from setting up checkpoints to control movements.

Palestinian volunteers set up their own checkpoints because police were unable to.

Israeli soldiers and settlers have also deliberately tried to spread coronavirus among Palestinians by spitting at homes and cars.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More