The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Yemen's Houthis say they have 'bank of vital targets' in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel Open in fullscreen

The New Arab Staff

Yemen's Houthis say they have 'bank of vital targets' in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel

Yemen's Houthis have been fighting against the Saudi-led coalition since 2015 [Getty]

Date of publication: 13 July, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Abdullah Yahya Al-Hakim, chief of Houthis' intelligence and reconnaissance body, said the rebel group has a bank of vital targets in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Israel.
Yemen's Houthis said they have a bank of vital targets in Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Israel, in a stark warning after increased long-range attacks on the neighbouring kingdom.

The rebels, who are backed by Iran, said the targets were determined through detailed intelligence, though he fell short of revealing the source. 

Abdullah Yahya al-Hakim, the chief of the groups' intelligence and reconnaissance body made the remarks on Sunday, according to the rebel-run Saba news agency.

The comments came as the Houthis claimed 
Sunday night drone and missile strikes that targeted Saudi military and civilian facilities.

The rebel group claimed to have to have have targeted military facilities and airports south of the kingdom, naming Khamis Mushait, Abha, Najran, while saying there was also a successful strike on an oil facility in Jizan.

"With many drones our armed forces targeted military aircraft, pilot accommodation and Patriot systems in Khamis Mushait, and other military targets at Abha, Jizan and Najran airports," Yahya Sarea, the Houthi military spokesman said, according to Reuters.

"Additionally, the giant oil facility in the Jizan industrial zone. The strike was accurate."

There has been no confirmation from Riyadh about any successful strikes by the Houthis, but a 400,000-barrel-per-day Saudi Aramco refinery operates in Jizan.

Earlier on Monday, the Saudi-led coalition said that its forces downed drones and missiles fired from Yemen towards Saudi Arabia.

The coalition said in a statement published by Saudi state news that four missiles and six armed drones were launched by the rebels from the Yemeni capital Sanaa towards the kingdom.

It was the latest attempted cross border attack since a ceasefire ended in May.

The ceasefire was implemented in April in a bid to tackle an outbreak of the coronavirus, but the truce fell apart by the end of May.

In late June, Houthi missiles were fired at the Saudi capital Riyadh, while there is had been a huge surge in fighting in Yemen since the ceasefire ended.

The coronavirus has since swept through Yemen, according to media reports, where much of the population is already reliant on aid.

The UN launched virtual talks in a bid to end the fighting, which could worsen the coronavirus outbreak in Yemen.

Yemen, one of the world's poorest nations, has recorded 464 deaths and 1,380 infections.

More than 120,000 people have died in the Yemen war, which began when Houthi rebels stormed the capital Sanaa and moved south.

The conflict intensified after the Saudi-led coalition intervened in March 2015 against the Houthis, with waves of airstrikes that killed thousands and a blockade that has devastated the country.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More