The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
US official says FBI joining Beirut explosion investigation Open in fullscreen

The New Arab Staff & Agencies

US official says FBI joining Beirut explosion investigation

So far, Washington has offered $18 million in humanitarian assistance [Getty]

Date of publication: 13 August, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
US Undersecretary for Political Affairs David Hale made the announcement as he toured the Gemayezeh neighborhood, which was damaged by the blast.
The FBI will join Lebanese and other international investigators in the probe of the massive explosion at Beirut's port that killed more than 170 people, injured thousands and caused widespread destruction, a US diplomat said Thursday.

Lebanese authorities had invited the FBI to take part, and it is one way that Washington can help the country deal with the effects of the disaster, said U.S. Undersecretary for Political Affairs David Hale as he toured the Gemayezeh neighborhood, which was damaged by the Aug. 4 blast.

"The FBI will soon join Lebanese and international investigators at the invitation of the Lebanese in order to help answer questions that I know everyone has about the circumstances that led up to this explosion,” he told reporters.

It is still not known what caused the fire responsible for igniting nearly 3,000 tons of ammonium nitrate that were stored for years in Beirut's port.

But documents have emerged that show the country’s top leadership and security officials were aware of the stockpile. French investigators are also taking part in the probe.

The US Embassy said Hale is expected to "reiterate the American government’s commitment to assist the Lebanese people in recovering from the tragedy and rebuilding their lives."

He will also stress the "urgent need" for embracing fundamental reforms by Lebanon's leaders.

So far, Washington has offered $18 million in humanitarian assistance provided by US Agency for International Development and the departments of State and Defense.

The United States is one of the largest donors to the Lebanese armed forces. But Washington views Hezbollah, a powerful political player in the government and parliament, as a terrorist group.

US officials have expressed concerns about aid not going to the Hezbollah-backed government.

The government resigned on Monday, nearly a week after the blast that killed more than 170 people, injured at least 6,000 and wrecked the capital’s port and caused widespread damage across the capital. The government remains in a caretaker capacity.

On Thursday, Lebanon's Parliament approved a state of emergency in Beirut in its first session since the explosion, granting the military sweeping powers amid rising popular anger at official corruption and mismanagement and political uncertainty.

Read more: Lebanon lawmakers back emergency powers assumed after deadly blast, expanding army's powers

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More