The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Jordanian sentenced to death for 2019 tourist knife attack Open in fullscreen

The New Arab Staff & Agencies

Jordanian sentenced to death for 2019 tourist knife attack

The man has been sentenced to death [Getty]

Date of publication: 12 January, 2021

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Mustafa Abu Ruwais, 24, was sentenced to 'death by hanging for the terrorist knife attack on tourists,' the Jordanian court said.

Jordan's state security court sentenced a man to death on Tuesday for the 2019 stabbing of eight people, four of them foreign tourists, at one of the kingdom's ancient sites.

The victims, who included one Swiss and three Mexican tourists, all survived the November 2019 knife attack in the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Jerash, some 50 kilometres (30 miles) north of the capital Amman.

Mustafa Abu Ruwais, 24, was sentenced to "death by hanging for the terrorist knife attack on tourists," the court said.

Ruwais, a Jordanian of Palestinian origin, was at the time of the attack a resident of the Souf camp in Jerash, which houses some 20,000 Palestinian refugees.

He was arrested immediately afterwards and charged with terrorism offences in January last year.

The Jordanian victims included a tour guide and a security officer who attempted to intervene.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More