The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Italian party to sue government over Egypt arms sales Open in fullscreen

The New Arab Staff

Italian party to sue government over Egypt arms sales

The murder of Italian researcher Giulio Regeni has sparked calls for an arms embargo [Getty]

Date of publication: 8 January, 2021

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The Green Italy party has said it will file a legal complaint over the government's continued arms sale to Egypt despite the murder of an Italian student.
An Italian political party said this week it was preparing to sue the government over its arms sales to Egypt amid continued anger over the 2016 murder of Giulio Regeni.

The Green Italy party said it intends to file a legal complaint over the sale last year of two warships to Egypt.

The first of the frigates arrived in Alexandria late last month, a spokesperson for the Egyptian armed forces said.

The small party, which has just two deputies in Italy's parliament, claims the government broke a law prohibiting arms sales to countries where serious rights violations have been committed.

Green Italy's proposed lawsuit comes after Regeni's parents pledged to sue the government over the warship sale last year.

Read more: As Egypt and Italy trade weapons and oil, justice for Regeni fades from view

Regeni, an Italian PhD student at the University of Cambridge, is widely believed to have been killed by Egyptian security forces. He was researching labour unions in the country at the time of his death.

The researcher had disappeared for 10 days before his body was found on the outskirts of Cairo, displaying signs of torture.


Video evidence revealed last year shows that Egyptian security agents monitored Regeni for weeks before his disappearance.

His parents filed an official legal complaint against the government on Wednesday this week, local media reported.

Last month, Egypt's public prosecutor cleared four suspect security officers and a policeman of involvement in Regeni's killing.

The prosecutor then closed the case, stating that the killer was unknown.

Rome condemned the "unacceptable" decision, adding Italy would "continue to work at all levels, including through the European Union, for the truth about Giulio Regeni's brutal murder to finally emerge". 

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

Read Also

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More