Breaking News
Over 60 fighters killed in clashes in Yemen's Marib Open in fullscreen

The New Arab Staff & Agencies

Over 60 fighters killed in clashes in Yemen's Marib

Houthi fighters attend a funeral in Sana'a, Yemen for colleagues killed in Marib clashes [Getty]

Date of publication: 27 February, 2021

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Over 60 fighters died in clashes between the Houthis and government forces in Yemen.

More than 60 fighters were killed in clashes in Yemen Friday between Iran-backed Houthi rebels and government forces in the strategic northern province of Marib, government sources said.

Earlier this month, the Houthis resumed a push to capture Marib city, 120 kilometres (75 miles) east of the rebel-held capital Sanaa.

The city lies close to some of Yemen's richest oil fields and its capture would be major prize for the rebels.

Friday's dead included at least 27 pro-government forces and 34 Houthi rebels, a government source told AFP, adding it was the "most violent" day of clashes since fighting erupted on February 8.

The rebels moved into hills near a dam southwest of Marib city - the last major toehold in the north for Yemen's Saudi-backed government - with the area witnessing "the fiercest battles", according to the source.

A military source said that pro-government forces repelled the Houthi advances and reported heavy fighting that lasted "more than eight hours" in the Ablah region, south of Marib city.

There was loss of life on both sides, the military source added, without providing further details.

Yemeni military sources said air strikes targeted Houthi positions in several parts of the province.

The Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV channel reported 21 air strikes in different areas.

Yemen has been embroiled in a bloody power struggle since 2014 between its government, supported by Saudi Arabia, and Houthi rebels, who control most of the north.

The grinding conflict has claimed tens of thousands of lives and displaced millions, according to international organisations, sparking what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The upsurge in violence this month has come shortly after Washington decided to remove the rebels from its list of terrorist groups, in order to ensure aid is unimpeded, and to pave the way to restart peace talks.

Observers say the Houthis want to capture Marib as leverage before entering into any negotiations.

The United Nations has warned of a potential humanitarian disaster if the fight for Marib continues, saying it has put "millions of civilians at risk".

Until early last year, life in Marib was relatively peaceful despite the civil war.

But as the front lines shift, and air raids by Saudi Arabia and its allies pound the area, there is new peril for civilians, with hundreds of thousands sheltering in camps in the surrounding desert that extends to the Saudi border.

Loyalist military officials told AFP earlier this month that the rebels had been using residents of one camp in the province's Sirwah district as "human shields".

The fighting shows no signs of abating despite heavy losses on both sides. 

Agencies contributed to this report.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More