Five family members killed in raid in Yemen

Five family members killed in raid in Yemen
2 min read
10 February, 2016
Video: Three children were among those killed in a Saudi-led coalition airstrike in Yemen's capital Sanaa.

Yemeni family killed

Five members of the same family were killed when a Saudi-led coalition airstrike hit their home in Yemen's rebel-held capital, Sanaa, rescuers and neighbours said on Wednesday.

The bodies of a father and two of his children were still under the rubble of the destroyed building on Wednesday morning, while rescue workers managed to pull out the dead bodies of a woman and young girl, according to an AFP photographer at the site.

It was not immediately clear if there were any other people in the building when it was hit.

The dead father was identified by neighbours as Mounir al-Hakimi, a programme director at the Yemen Today television channel, owned by former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Saleh's supporters are allied with the Houthi rebels who have controlled Sanaa since 2014.

The channel itself said on its website that four family members were killed in an airstrike but did not mention Hakimi, or confirm that the victims were members of his family.

The building is located near the rebel-controlled presidential headquarters in central Sanaa, which was also struck by a missile overnight.

A garage workshop and a nearby private school were also hit, causing damage, according to an AFP photographer, but no casualties were reported.

The coalition has been carrying out air raids against rebels across Yemen since March 2015.

The United Nations says more than 6,100 people have been killed in Yemen's conflict since then, about half of them civilians.

The coalition last month announced that an independent inquiry would examine charges of possible abuses against civilians in the conflict.

A panel of UN experts says the coalition has carried out 119 sorties that violated humanitarian law, and called for an international probe.