Gaza death toll from Israel strikes rises to 83

Gaza death toll from Israel strikes rises to 83: health ministry
2 min read
The dead included 17 children, while 487 people have been wounded, the ministry said.
The Israeli military said it had struck Gaza more than 600 times since Monday evening.[Getty]

The death toll from more than two days of Israeli bombing on Gaza has risen to 83, the health ministry in the besieged land strip said Thursday. 

The dead included 17 children, while 487 people were wounded, the ministry said. 

The Israeli military said it had struck Gaza more than 600 times since Monday evening while Hamas has fired more than 1,600 rockets towards Israel. 

Al-Jazeera English reported on Wednesday that air raid sirens and explosions were heard across Tel Aviv and other Israeli cities as Hamas rockets rained down, with panicked residents rushing for shelter.

In Gaza, Israeli airstrikes destroyed a tall residential building and the Al-Sharouk tower, where several media organizations have offices.

"Targeting such a building which holds media offices is a clear message by the Israeli occupation that it does not want any media to tell the truth of what is going on in the Gaza Strip: the crazy air raids that are taking place in every moment; the killing and targeting of civilians of residential buildings and apartments; hundreds of Palestinians have been wounded in just two days of escalation," Youmna al-Sayed, a journalist operating from Gaza, told Al-Jazeera.

AFP quoted the Israeli military as saying that around 1,500 rockets had been fired by Palestinian factions towards Israel since Monday, when Hamas gave Israel an ultimatum to stop its assaults on Palestinian worshippers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque and launched rockets after it expired.

Senior Hamas commanders were among those killed in the strikes including Bassem Issa, the movement’s military chief in Gaza.

The chief of Hamas' political bureau, Ismail Haniyeh, said that the confrontation with Israel was "open-ended", while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu threatened to escalate the conflict further.

"This is just the beginning. We’ll hit them like they’ve never dreamed possible," he said.

Al-Jazeera said that Israel was considering a ground invasion of Gaza for the first time since a 2014 war between Israel and Hamas.

The escalation in the conflict was sparked by Israel’s plans to forcibly expel residents of the Sheikh Jarrah neighbourhood and its assaults on worshippers at Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa Mosque, which injured hundreds of Palestinians during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected