Houthis allege deadly attack on Saudi base in Yemen

Houthis allege deadly attack on Saudi base in Yemen
2 min read
30 November, 2020
Yemen's Houthi rebels on Sunday claimed that at least eight Saudi soldiers and officers were killed in an attack on a military camp in Marib.
The Saudi-led coalition intervened in March 2015 [Getty]
At least eight Saudi soldiers and officers were killed in a Houthi attack on a camp in Yemen’s Marib, the rebels claimed on Sunday.

The Houthis' military spokesman, Brigadier General Yahya Sarea alleged the ballistic missile attack targeted the Tadawain Camp in Marib on Saturday evening, injuring a further seven soldiers.

Saudi state confirmed that a ballistic missile was fired by the rebels on Monday but did not mention casualties.

Saudi soldiers and officers have been killed in Houthi missile attacks in Yemen.

More than 100,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed and millions displaced in Yemen's conflict, since the Saudi-led coalition intervened in the neighbouring country to help reinstate the government after it was pushed out by the Houthi rebels.

The conflict has triggered what the United Nations has called the world's worst humanitarian disaster.

The Houthi attack on Saturday evening came after a number of tit-for-tat incidents between the rebels and the Saudi-led coalition.

On Friday, rebel forces were targeted in a series of attacks by the coalition.

That came after the Houthis reportedly hit an Aramco oil distribution station in the Saudi coastal city of Jeddah using an Iran-made missile last week.

During a media visit to its oil facility in northern Jeddah, Aramco told reporters that the tank fire caused by the attack was put out in about 40 minutes and that operations resumed in about three hours. They confirmed that there had been no casualties.

Read also: Yemen in Focus: Could US terror designation be used to leverage Houthis?

However, a projectile hit one of the 13 tanks in the facility, causing major damage to the tank's roof with a hole measuring around two by two metres, Abdullah al-Ghamdi, manager of the North Jeddah Bulk Plant said.

The damaged tank remains out of action, he noted.

Saudi Arabia has been targeted with dozens of ballistic missile and drone attacks since the start of last year, including a devastating and unprecedented strike on Aramco's facilities in the country's east.

Washington and Riyadh held Iran responsible for that attack.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected