Iran shutters key Shia pilgrimage site amid coronavirus pandemic
The new measures to shut the tomb of Imam Reza come as the Covid-19 pandemic claims another 113 lives in the Islamic Republic.
Iran has seen one of the deadliest outbreaks of the new coronavirus outside of China, where it originated.
Tehran on Sunday urged citizens to stick to guidelines and stay at home after announcing the latest deaths, bringing the total toll to 724 dead since last month.
People "should cancel all travel and stay at home so that we may see the situation improving in the coming days", health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said in a televised news conference.
Jahanpour also reported 1,209 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 infection, raising the total to 13,938.
"The good news is that more than 4,590 of the overall confirmed cases have recovered" and the patients have been discharged from hospitals, he added.
Jahanpour called on Iranians to "take the coronavirus seriously" and especially be mindful of elderly relatives who are most vulnerable to the infection.
Tehran province had the highest number of new infections with 251 fresh cases.
Khorasan Razavi province followed with 143 cases.
"The cases there will probably increase," the official said, calling on everyone to cease from travelling to the northeastern province, home to the holy Shia city of Mashhad.
Mashhad's Imam Reza shrine receives many devout Iranians every year, especially around the country's New Year holidays which start on March 20.
"Currently, the porches of the mausoleum and generally all the covered spaces of the holy shrine are closed," the spokesman said.
The Imam Reza shrine attracted attention earlier this month after pilgrims were filmed licking the metal grilles surrounding the tomb in defiance of measures to prevent the virus' spread.
Iranians were also filmed licking parts of the Fatima Masumeh shrine in Qom, another Shia holy city.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay connected