Man injured in Beirut port blast dies

Man seriously injured in Beirut port explosion dies
1 min read
28 October, 2021
Abbas Mazloum, a father of five, had been suffering from spinal injuries since the August 2020 explosion
More than 215 people were killed in the Beirut port explosion [Getty]

A 38-year-old man seriously injured in last summer’s massive Beirut port explosion died of a heart attack on Wednesday, according to local media reports.

Abbas Mazloum was working at a restaurant in a neighbourhood near the port when the explosion struck on 4 August 2020, causing injuries to his spine.

Mazloum had recently undergone surgery for his injuries and was soon to undergo a second operation, his relatives told local media.

There were no signs that his health was deteriorating or that his injuries were life-threatening, they said.

The father of five was buried on Wednesday afternoon in his home village of Hor Taala, east Lebanon.

More than 215 people were killed and thousands injured when tonnes of ammonium nitrate stored at Beirut's port exploded.

Large swathes of the capital were heavily damaged in the blast. Some of the ruin has been repaired, allowing residents to move back in and businesses and institutions to reopen.

The investigation into the explosion has made little headway, following a smear campaign against the investigating judge.