Moroccan acquitted on terror charge wins Polish court battle
Poland's Supreme Court has ruled in favour of a Moroccan man who had been acquitted of being an accomplice of the suspected mastermind of the 2015 terror attacks in Paris.
Prosecutors had appealed against the acquittal and had requested a six-and-a-half year prison sentence for the man, named only as Mourad T., who was first sentenced in 2019.
The court said the appeal was "obviously unfounded", Justyna Piskorek, a spokeswoman for the Supreme Court, said on Tuesday.
The man was detained in Poland on September 5, 2016 and was found guilty of being an accomplice of Abelhamid Abaaoud, the alleged ringleader of the attacks that left 130 people dead.
Prosecutors said Mourad T. met with Abaaoud in the Turkish city of Edirne in 2014, along with Sofiane Amghar and Khalid Ben Larbi, two jihadists who were killed in a police raid in Belgium in 2015.
Abaaoud was also killed in a raid after the Paris attacks.
A Polish court earlier this year granted Mourad T. compensation of 142,000 euros ($160,000) for his detention after he was found innocent.