The purge continues: Turkey cancels all Gulen-linked broadcast licences

The purge continues: Turkey cancels all Gulen-linked broadcast licences
1 min read
19 July, 2016
Turkish authorities have cancelled all TV and radio licences linked to US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, the main suspect behind Friday's failed coup.
Ankara has accused Gulen of being behind Friday's failed coup.[AFP]

Turkish authorities on Tuesday scrapped all television and radio station licences linked to US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of being behind Friday's failed coup.

The broadcasting watchdog said it had "cancelled all broadcasting rights and licences for media that had links to FETO/PDY" - referring to the "Fethullah Terrorist Organisation" - the government's derogatory name for the Gulen movement.

Gulen has strongly denied Turkey's accusations that he masterminded the attempted putsch.

The decision was made during an extraordinary meeting of the watchdog on Tuesday, it said.

The 24 channels and radio stations affected were named by the state-run news agency Anadolu.

The agency also said the prime ministry's press and information office had revoked press cards for 34 journalists believed to be close to Gulen.

"This action we have taken must not be seen as restricting press freedom," BYEGM Vice President Ekrem Okutan said, Anadolu reported.

Media linked to the preacher have been muffled by Turkish authorities.

In March, police raided Zaman - one of the country's biggest-selling daily newspapers.

The move comes as part of a wide-ranging crackdown against critics of the government.

More than 15,000 Turkish state education employees were suspended on Tuesday after a failed coup last week, the education ministry said.

[Click to enlarge]