Saudi crown prince takes 'full responsibility' for Khashoggi murder

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman takes 'full responsibility' for Khashoggi murder
2 min read
30 September, 2019
Saudi Arabia's crown prince said in an interview aired Sunday he 'takes responsibility' for journalist Jamal Khashoggi's murder.
Saudi prosecutors have absolved the prince (Getty)
Saudi Arabia's crown prince said in an interview aired on Sunday that he took full responsibility for the murder of Jamal Khashoggi who was killed in the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul.

Prince Mohammed was asked point-blank if he ordered the killing and dismemberment of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in October last year.

"Absolutely not. This was a heinous crime. But I take full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially since it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government," he said.

"When a crime is committed against a Saudi citizen by officials, working for the Saudi government, as a leader I must take responsibility. This was a mistake."

Prince Mohammed, the kingdom's de facto ruler, has come under huge international pressure after the US-based writer was killed and dismembered in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Khashoggi's body was never found.

The prince has said the killing was carried out without his knowledge.

Riyadh has repeatedly denied that Prince Mohammed was behind the murder of Khashoggi - a royal family insider turned critic and a US resident - who was killed in what Saudi authorities have described as a rogue operation.

A report by a UN human rights expert, who conducted an independent probe, said there was "credible evidence" linking the crown prince to the murder and an attempted cover up.

The CIA has also reportedly said the killing was likely ordered by Prince Mohammed.

But Saudi prosecutors have absolved the prince and said around two dozen people implicated in the murder are in custody, with death penalties sought against five men.

Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab