Seven al-Qaeda militants killed in multiple drone strikes

Seven al-Qaeda militants killed in multiple drone strikes
2 min read
25 August, 2016
Suspected US drone strikes killed seven al-Qaeda militants across parts of southern and eastern Yemen on Wednesday.
The US drone programme has conducted several raids on AQAP [File Photo]
At least seven al-Qaeda suspects were killed in several drone strikes in provinces of southern and eastern Yemen on Wednesday.

Three militants died when a rocket hit a vehicle in a desert area of Marib, east of Yemen's rebel-held capital Sanaa, a security source said.

Meanwhile in Shabwa, four were killed when a drone strike struck a moving car in southern Yemen.

The militants were travelling towards Nisab in the Shabwa province when the raid took place, an official said.

The United States, which considers al-Qaeda’s Yemen branch to be the network’s deadliest franchise, has carried out numerous drone strikes in Yemen for several years.

Earlier this month, three Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) operatives died in a US strike also in Shabwa.

The militants died when the US strike targeted a military vehicle at a militant-manned checkpoint.

Last month, a much anticipated report revealing the number of those killed in the controversial US drone programme since 2009 was widely questioned, with rights groups doubting the 'low numbers'.

The White House revealed that up to 116 civilians were killed in President Barack Obama's controversial drone strikes initiative in countries including Yemen, Pakistan and Africa.

An estimated 473 strikes – conducted outside the US' principal war zones in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan – had killed 64 to 116 civilians between 2009 and 2015, a report from the Director of National Intelligence revealed for the first time on Friday.

Years of pressure from rights groups demanded a better accounting of military actions under Obama led to the release of information that has for years been kept classified among officials in Washington.

Critics have long alleged that the US drone strikes kill far more civilians than claimed but Friday's revelations caused further questions to be posed, with even the DNI acknowledging the possible weakness of its own numbers.

"Although the US government has access to a wide range of information, the figures released today should be considered in light of the inherent limitations on the ability to determine the precise number of combatant and non-combatant deaths given the non-permissive environments in which these strikes often occur," the DNI said in a statement.

The US' drone programme – a key tool of Obama's counterterrorism strategy – has long been shrouded in secrecy. 

The London-based Bureau of Investigative Journalism previously estimated that there were anywhere from 492 to about 1,100 civilians killed by drone strikes in Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia since 2002.