Sudan coup: Egypt's Al-Sisi denies backing takeover, urges Sudan factions to talk

Sudan coup: Egypt's Al-Sisi denies backing takeover, urges Sudan factions to talk
3 min read
Following the coup, some Sudanese opposition leaders suspected Egypt had given a greenlight for the Sudan’s military leader, General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, to oust Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok.
Egypt's Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi said 'political consensus' is required in Sudan [Adam Berry/Getty-archive]

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi on Wednesday urged rival factions in Sudan to engage in talks to move forward in their transition to democracy after a coup toppled the civilian-led government.

The 25 October military takeover has upended Sudan’s plans to move to democracy after three decades of repression and international sanctions under dictator Omar Al-Bashir. A popular uprising forced the military’s overthrow of Al-Bashir and his Islamist government in April 2019.

Egypt, which has cultivated close ties with Sudan in recent years, fears that prolonged deadlock would further destabilise its southern neighbour.

Following the coup, some Sudanese opposition leaders, including former Foreign Minister Mariam Al-Mahdi, suspected that Egypt had given a greenlight for the Sudan’s military leader, General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, to oust Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s government.

Egypt pointedly did not sign on to a joint statement with the US, Britain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates calling on the Sudanese military to restore the civilian-led government.

MENA
Live Story

Speaking at a news conference at the Red Sea resort of Sharm El-Sheikh, Al-Sisi denied siding with either party in Sudan. He said Egypt supported all parties of the transitional government and insisted that his government doesn’t intervene in other country’s internal affairs.

The Egyptian leader called on Sudanese parties to agree on a roadmap to stabilise the country and hold elections at the end of the transition.

"The situation in Sudan needs a political consensus among all existing forces, so it can be a way out of the current crisis," he said.

The military takeover has plunged Sudan into political stalemate and relentless street protests, with at least 60 people have been killed during protests, with hundreds more wounded.

Rights organisations have alleged the security services have stopped the injured getting to hospital, and even attacked medical facilities and their staff.

Protesters want a fully civilian government to lead the government, while the military says it would only hand over power to an elected administration.

The turmoil intensified earlier this month following the resignation of embattled Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok after he failed to reach a compromise between the military and the pro-democracy movement.

Hamdok had been removed in the coup only to be reinstated in November as part of an agreement with the military. The deal sidelined the pro-democracy movement, which has mobilised the street protests. Protest groups plan on mass demonstrations across the country on Thursday to pressure the military.

Al-Sisi's call came as the United Nations began separate consultations earlier this week with Sudanese groups to build confidence between the military and the pro-democracy movement before they possibly engage in direct talks.

The UN mission in Sudan urged the military authorities Wednesday to immediately cease a violent crackdown on protesters to help "create an atmosphere conducive to these consultations".