Sudanese call for million-strong march against coup

Sudanese call for million-strong march against military coup
1 min read
28 October, 2021
Calls are being made on social media in Sudan for a massive march against the military takeover that took place earlier this week
Protests have continued across the country since Monday [Getty]

Sudanese activists on social media have called for a million-strong march on Saturday in protest against this week’s military coup.

Unions have participated in calls on social media under hashtags including the Arabic "30 October Million", which have trended since the military seized power on Monday.

Protests have continued across the country as demonstrators rebuild barricades demolished by security forces.

Seven protesters have been confirmed killed since Monday by morgues in the capital Khartoum and its sister city Omdurman, a health official said.

More bodies have since been received, the official said, with wounds caused by "sharp tools".

General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, Sudan's de facto leader since the 2019 ouster of dictator Omar Al-Bashir, dissolved the fragile government meant to shepherd the country to full civilian rule on Monday.

The takeover sparked international condemnation.