Thousands of Yemenis 'stranded' after Saudis close Sanaa airport

Thousands of Yemenis 'stranded' after Saudis close Sanaa airport

1 min read
23 August, 2016
Yemen's Transportation Ministry says 7,600 Yemenis are unable to return home after a Saudi-led military coalition ordered the closure of the international airport in Sanaa.
The Saudi-led coalition have grounded flights into and out of the rebel-held capital [Getty]

Yemen's Transportation Ministry says 7,600 Yemenis are unable to return home after a Saudi-led military coalition ordered the closure of the international airport amid stepped-up air raids against Houthi rebels.

The rebel-controlled ministry said on Tuesday that many were receiving medical treatment abroad and in neighbouring Arab countries.

The Saudi-led coalition grounded flights into and out of the rebel-held capital of Sanaa earlier this month as it launched a wave of air raids following the breakdown of peace talks.

The coalition launched a military campaign in support of Yemen's internationally recognised government in March 2015.

The government is based in the southern port city of Aden, where the airport is still open for international travel.

Relief agencies have urged the reopening of Sanaa's airport, saying the closure puts millions of people at risk.