UAE evicting Italian aircraft in 'revenge move'
Matteo Perego Di Cremnago, an Italian member of parliament and member of the parliamentary defence commission, told Defense News that Italy had been given until July 2 to evacuate the Al Minhad air base in the UAE.
"The pull-out has already started and while work is underway by Italy to secure a last-minute cancellation of the eviction, I doubt it will succeed," he said.
"When relationships break down in the Gulf it is very hard to resurrect them," he added.
Former Italian air force chief Gen. Leonardo Tricarico told Defense News that the last Italian aircraft had left the base on Thursday, leaving only residual material to collect.
"The UAE has also denied the use of its airspace to Italian military aircraft,” he said.
"Today I am announcing that the government has revoked the authorisations underway for the export of missiles and aircraft bombs to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates," Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said at the time.
"(This is) an act that we considered due, a clear message of peace coming from our country. For us, respect for human rights is an unbreakable commitment," he added.
He did not mention Yemen but referenced the conflict there when he ordered the initial suspension in July 2019.