Woman killed, Turkish troops injured in Syria regime attacks

Woman killed, three Turkish soldiers injured in Syrian regime attacks
2 min read
23 June, 2021
Syrian regime forces reportedly injured three Turkish soldiers at an observation post in rebel-held northwestern Syria and killed a woman and wounded her child and other civilians in further attacks.
The Syrian regime has recently increased attacks on civilian areas in rebel-held northwestern Syria [Getty]

Syrian regime forces continued their attacks on rebel-held northwestern Syria on Wednesday, reportedly injuring three Turkish soldiers at an observation post in the Jabal al-Zawiya area of Idlib province and killing a woman and injuring her child near the city of Atareb in western Aleppo province.

The New Arab’s affiliate channel Syria TV reported that forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad's regime had used guided "Krasnopol" missiles to target a Turkish observation post near the town of Kensafra in the Jabal al-Zawiya area, injuring three soldiers.

The Jabal al-Zawiya area of southern Idlib has come under near daily attack by regime forces over the past three weeks, in violation of a March 2020 ceasefire agreement between the regime's ally Russia and Turkey, which supports Syrian rebels.

On Monday, seven civilians were killed and at least ten injured in another regime attack on the area.

Syria TV’s correspondent in the area said that Turkish troops had responded to the bombing of their observation post, targeting nearby regime positions.

There was no information about regime casualties.

The Syrian website SY-24 also reported that regime troops near the “Fauj 46” military base in western Aleppo province had used a heat-seeking missile to attack the area around the opposition-held city of Atareb, killing a woman and injuring her child and three other civilians.

It added that on Tuesday another civilian was killed and five injured in regime attacks on other opposition held areas.

The Syrian Civil Defence, known as the White Helmets, said that 32 people, including 5 women and two children, had been killed since the beginning of the regime attacks on Jabal al-Zawiya and other rebel-held parts of Syria, with 69 people being injured.

The Syrian conflict began in 2011 following the brutal suppression of peaceful pro-democracy protests by the Assad regime.