Breaking News
Turkey: journalist dies after jumping into Bosphorus from attack Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Turkey: journalist dies after jumping into Bosphorus from attack

At least 15 foreign nationals were among the 39 killed on Sunday [AFP]

Date of publication: 1 January, 2017

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Moroccan, Lebanese, Libyan, Tunisian, Jordanian and Saudi victims have been confirmed among the victims of Istanbul's New Year's nightclub attack.
A Lebanese journalist has been named among several Arab victims of a deadly shooting that left at least 39 people in Istanbul on Sunday, Lebanese media reported.

According to MTV News, journalist Elias Wardini died from injuries sustained after the attack that took place as revellers celebrated the new year. Hours earlier, the same news outlet reported that Wardini had survived the attack by jumping into the Bosphorus river.


According to a local source cited by al-Arabiya, at least seven Saudi citizens were killed in the same attack, with nine others injured.

Tunisia's foreign ministry also said that two of their nationals were among the dead victims, while Lebanon said that five of its citizens had been injured.

Amman issued a statement saying that three Jordanians were killed and four others injured, while others have put the figure of deaths at five.

Morocco's foreign ministry said that three Moroccans were wounded.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, however, Turkey has witnessed shootings and bombings perpetrated by the Islamic State group and Kurdish seperatists in recent times.

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the attacker has not been identified and is still at large. "Our security forces have started the necessary operations. God willing he will be caught in a short period of time," he said.

Private NTV news channel said the assailant entered the upscale nightclub - on the shores of the Bosphorus - on the European side of the city, dressed in a Santa Claus outfit.

The minister said the attacker was believed to have left the club wearing different clothing. 

A video allegedly showing the killer enter the club shows a man wearing black clothes and a hat.

The minister said the attacker is believed to have carried out the assault alone.

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More