The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Syrian regime strikes on Idlib kill four, including a woman and her child Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Syrian regime strikes on Idlib kill four, including a woman and her child

Civilians flee from south Idlib, which was hit by reported government forces' bombardment [AFP/Getty]

Date of publication: 26 August, 2019

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
Syrian opposition activists say airstrikes targeting the country's last major rebel stronghold have killed four civilians, including a woman and her child.

Airstrikes on Syria's last major rebel stronghold in the northwestern province of Idlib on Monday killed at least four people, including a woman and her child, opposition activists said.

The attacks come as Syrian regime forces turn their focus on another rebel-held town in Idlib, Maaret al-Numan, following gains they made last week.

The troops have been on the offensive since April 30, and have also captured all rebel-held areas in the adjoining Hama province, as well as the town of Khan Sheikhoun in Idlib. From the town, they are now pushing north.

This area of northern Syria has been under the control of Syrian rebels for many years. The Syrian regime also seized the village of Latamneh - the site of an Assad regime chemical weapons attack on an underground hospital in early 2017.

The opposition's Syrian Civil Defense rescue group, also known as White Helmets, said the airstrikes and artillery shelling targeted the village of in Basqala and nearby places. Three people died in Basqala and the fourth, a man, in another village close by, Maaret Harmeh.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights gave a higher toll, saying the airstrikes killed six people in Idlib, including three in the village of Basqala on the southern edge of the province. Among the three killed in Basqala were a woman and her child, it said.

The differences between the Observatory's death toll and that of the White Helmets could not immediately be reconciled.

State news agency SANA said troops are pounding insurgents' positions in the town of Maaret al-Numan and several nearby villages. It said insurgent fired rockets in government-held villages inflicting casualties among the civilian population.

Syria Weekly: Regime advance in Idlib threatens genocide of Syrians

Maaret al-Numan, like Khan Sheikhoun sits on the highway linking Damascus with the northern city of Aleppo, Syria's largest. Regime forces are trying to eventually open that highway.

The months of fighting have also displaced more than half a million toward northern parts of Idlib and killed more than 800 people.

The UN warned earlier this week that the lives of at least 3 million people in Idlib province were at risk due to the regime offensive.

Also Monday, Turkey's defense minister, Hulusi Akar, said Turkish and US troops will soon begin joint patrols as part of a deal for a so-called safe zone in northeastern Syria. He said a joint helicopter flight has already taken place.

Akar made the comments days after announcing that a Turkish-US joint operation center for the safe zone had started working under the command of one Turkish and one American general.

Turkey has been pressing for a safe zone, running east of the Euphrates River toward the Iraqi border, to push US-allied Syrian Kurdish militias away from its frontier. Ankara considers the Syrian Kurdish fighters as terrorists linked to an insurgency within Turkey.

Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday renewed a threat of a Turkish military offensive in the region if the safe zone is not established.

"If we are forced into a path that we don't desire, if we are kept waiting, all of our preparations have been completed and we will execute our plans," Erdogan said.

Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More