The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Taliban to resume attacks on Afghan forces despite US peace deal agreement Open in fullscreen

The New Arab & agencies

Taliban to resume attacks on Afghan forces despite US peace deal agreement

The Taliban said they will resume attacks on government forces [Getty]

Date of publication: 2 March, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The Taliban said it will resume operations against the US.
The Taliban will resume attacks on Afghan security forces, the group said on Monday, ending a brief peace that centred on a deal signed between the US and insurgents this weekend.

It follows an announcement by President Ashraf Ghani that his government would continue a partial truce until talks between Afghan officials and the Taliban begin on 10 March. 

"The reduction in violence... has ended now and our operations will continue as normal," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told AFP.

"As per the (US-Taliban) agreement, our mujahideen will not attack foreign forces but our operations will continue against the Kabul administration forces."

Fawad Aman, deputy spokesman for the defence ministry said the government was "checking to see if (the truce) had ended".

"We have not had any reports of any big attacks in the country yet", he added.

The Taliban and US agreed a peace deal on Saturday, with the Afghan insurgent group celebrating their "victory" over the US.

Foreign forces will quit Afghanistan within 14 months as part of the deal, while the Taliban promised to hold talks with the Kabul government.

Last week's partial truce between the Taliban, US and Afghan forces saw a sharp decrease in armed attacks in the country.

Ghani warned the insurgents Monday that he was not committed to a key clause in the Doha deal involving the release of thousands of Taliban prisoners.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More