The New Arab Logo

Breaking News
Saudi Arabia announces stricter lockdown measures as 140 new coronavirus cases confirmed Open in fullscreen

The New Arab

Saudi Arabia announces stricter lockdown measures as 140 new coronavirus cases confirmed

Saudi police have set up checkpoints to impose lockdowns [AFP]

Date of publication: 4 April, 2020

Share this page:
  • 0

  • twitter
The Saudi Health Ministry has announced 140 new cases and four deaths from coronavirus, as a new curfew took effect in seven districts of the city of Jeddah.

The Saudi Health Ministry announced on Saturday that 140 new cases of coronavirus had been recorded in the country, raising the total number of coronavirus infections in the country to 2,179.

At a press conference, a spokesman for the Health Ministry also said that four people had died from Covid-19 recently, raising the total number of deaths to 29.

A curfew was imposed on seven districts in the city of Jeddah by the Saudi Interior Ministry in order to stop the spread of the deadly virus.

Read more: Wives can refuse sexual advances from husbands during coronavirus quarantine, says top Saudi cleric

The official Saudi Press Agency quoted a source in the Interior Ministry as saying that the curfew began at 3 p.m. on Saturday and would be in place until further notice.

The curfew will operate round the clock. No one will be permitted to enter or leave the seven areas. Residents of the areas would only be allowed to leave their homes for essential needs, between seven in the morning and three in the afternoon, according to the Saudi Press Agency.

Saudi authorities had previously prohibited all entry and exit from several cities and provinces, including Riyadh, Mecca, Medina, and Dammam. Five districts in Mecca have also been isolated, with no one being allowed to enter or leave.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected

The New ArabComments

Most Popular

Most Popular

    Read More