Iraqi-Kurds dismiss reports of 'attack on Israeli Mossad'
News of the supposed attack initially appeared on Tuesday in Iraqi outlets and later by Iran's state-owned Press TV, which reported that "unknown resistance forces" had delivered a "heavy blow" to Israeli military units in Iraqi-Kurdistan, leaving several dead and injured.
The location of the alleged operation was not provided, though Sabereen News alleged that photos of the assault would be provided on Wednesday.
In a statement, Kurdish authorities described the claims as "false", adding that no Mossad base exists within their territory.
A spokesman for the Kurdistan Regional Government said this was not the first time they had been forced to deny allegations of an Israeli intelligence presence in the area.
The Jerusalem Post said that four "knowledgeable sources" had also dismissed the claims, with one citing the absence of a verified location.
The Times of Israel said that the scant details in the reports also raised suspicions, leading most Israeli news outlets not to cover it.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also refused to comment on the matter.
Armed attacks against targets in Iraq have been promoted in Iranian state media.
Tehran previously announced in January 2020 that it had killed 80 US soldiers at bases in Iraq in retaliation for the death of Qasem Soleimani.
However, US and Iraqi sources said their initial assessments revealed no one had died on their side, although later reports confirmed injuries of US personnel.