Nine killed in Saudi-led coalition strike on Yemen petrol station

Nine killed in Saudi-led coalition strike on Yemen petrol station
2 min read
24 April, 2018
A Saudi-led coalition strike on a petrol station in Yemen left at least 9 civilians dead on Monday night, a day after a deadly raid on a wedding.
Graphic images showed charred corpses thrown around the petrol station [Twitter]

Several people were killed and wounded in a Saudi-led airstrike on a petrol station in Yemen's northern Hajjah province on Monday night, just a day after a raid on a wedding left 88 guests dead.

At least 9 civilians were killed when an airstrike struck the al-Warqi petrol station, local journalists reported, although authorities are yet to determine the exact number of casualties.

"9 civilians killed & 28 injured as a preliminary outcome," local reporter, Ahmed Jahhaf posted in a tweet. "These crimes are repeated on a daily basis and the world watches in silence."

Graphic images which surfaced online showed charred corpses, some in pieces, thrown around the burning site at night.

Monday's air raid came as the international community condemned another Saudi-led coalition airstrike that hit a wedding in the same province on Sunday evening.

At least 88 people were killed in Sunday's double tap strike, including the bride and guests of a wedding celebration in the Bani Qais district.

Khaled al-Nadhri, the top health official in the northern province of Hajja, told The Associated Press on Monday that most of the dead were women and children who were gathered in one of the tents set up for the wedding party.

The coalition of Arab countries has been waging a war on Yemen's Houthi rebels, who control much of the north, to restore the internationally recognised government to power.

Following the shooting down of several allegedly Houthi drones and ballistic missiles in southern Saudi Arabia, the coalition warned last week of a "painful" response if the more attacks were launched by the Houthis.

On Monday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the strikes and called for "a prompt, effective and transparent investigation" of the raids which were carried out as the United Nations is seeking to re-launch political talks to end the war in Yemen.

Civilian casualties from coalition airstrikes have drawn criticism from rights groups, and in October the United Nations placed the Saudi alliance on a "blacklist" for killing and maiming children.

Along with its air campaign, the Saudi-led coalition has imposed periodic blockades on Yemen's ports. Both actions have killed more than 10,000 people - most of them civilians - and have left more than 18 million in need of aid, according to the UN.

The Saudi-led coalition's war against Houthi rebels has led to the "world's worst humanitarian crisis", the UN said.