Palestinian teenager killed by Israeli troops in West Bank
Palestinian health officials on Friday said that a 17-year-old youth was shot and killed as Israeli troops stormed a village in the occupied West Bank.
The shooting occurred in Nabi Saleh, a village where residents have held numerous demonstrations over the years against the expansion of a nearby Israeli settlement on their land.
The official Palestinian news agency WAFA identified the teen as Mohammed Tamimi, a member of a large extended family that lives in the village.
Bilal Tamimi, a resident and relative of the teen, said he was shot in the back during a clash that erupted after Israeli troops entered the village. Further details were not immediately available, and the Israeli military said it was investigating.
A large protest also took place Friday in Beita - a village in the northern West Bank where Palestinians have held weeks of protests against an unauthorized Israeli settlement outpost built on their land.
Under a deal in June between the Israeli government and the settlers of the Evyatar outpost, the settlers left the area but its buildings were left intact under army guard.
The Palestinian Red Crescent medical service said 21 people were wounded by Israeli fire and scores of others were hit by rubber bullets. None of the injuries were serious, officials said.
Israel occupied the West Bank following the 1967 Arab-Israeli war. Since then it has constructed hundreds of settlements there in violation of international law.