Palestinian teenager shot dead by Israeli army in Hebron
The Palestinian health ministry said in a statement that Zaid Qaysia, 15, was killed by a live bullet to the head fired by an Israeli in Al-Fawar refugee camp near the southern West Bank city of Hebron, the centre of which is occupied by 600 ultra-nationalist Israeli settlers.
Human Rights Watch researcher Zena al-Tahhan said that Zaid was shot while standing on a rooftop several hundred metres away from the clashes.
A further four Palestinians were wounded by Israeli soldiers. One of them was shot in the stomach and another in the chest, according to the Palestinian health ministry, while the other two were shot in the legs.
The Israeli military said troops had entered the camp to make arrests and had been met with a "violent riot" in which shots were heard and a soldier was lightly injured.
"Troops responded with riot dispersal means and live fire.
"We are aware of a report regarding a Palestinian casualty and a number of injured Palestinians," it added.
Witnesses said the raid by Israeli force in the early hours had sparked clashes with residents.
Israeli forces fired live bullets, rubber bullets, and tear gas during the raid.
On Tuesday, the Israeli army suffered its first fatality of the year when a Palestinian stone-thrower killed a soldier during a similar raid in the northern village of Yaabad.
Israeli forces on Tuesday night also stormed the Palestinian city of Jenin in the north of the West Bank. Two Palestinians were injured by Israeli bullets.
Secretary of State Pompeo arrived in Israel on Wednesday morning for talks with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other officials.
He is expected to discuss Washington's support for Israeli plans to annex parts of the West Bank in a move the United Nations says is a violation of international law.
Palestinian leaders have warned it could trigger a surge of violence.
Agencies contributed to this report.