Qatar gives nearly $10 million to rebuild Beirut schools
The Thursday deal was signed by Qatar Fund For Development (QFFD) and the Lebanese ministry of education and higher education, according to the Lebanese Elnashra news website.
The QFFD will use the money to restore 55 schools, 20 education and training centres, and three universities damaged in the Port of Beirut blast.
"This amount constitutes part of the 50 million US dollars pledged by the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, during the donors conference in Paris in contribution to the reconstruction of Beirut after the port's explosion," the Qatari embassy in Lebanon said in a statement.
The two explosions occurred on 4 August, which killed at least 202 people and caused billions of dollars worth of damage.
The blast was one of the biggest non-nuclear explosions ever recorded, razing Beirut's port area and wreaking billions of dollars worth of damage across the capital.
Smaller explosions and fires took place in the capital after the initial blasts.
It came as Lebanon struggled with its worst financial crisis since the 1975-1990 civil war and political strife, compounded by the coronavirus pandemic.
Earlier this month, Lebanon signed a deal with a German company to dispose of 49 containers of flammable chemicals from Beirut's port.
Combi Lift, a German a heavy lift transport company that was already working in the port, started clearing the containers soon after the contract was signed on 11 November, the prime minister's office said.