Saudi-led coalition rejects UN's Yemen 'war crimes' report
|[Click to enlarge]|
The Saudi-led coalition's investigations into alleged war crimes in Yemen have lacked credibility and failed to provide redress to civilian victims, Human Rights Watch said in a report released last week.
"For more than two years, the coalition has claimed that JIAT was credibly investigating allegedly unlawful airstrikes, but the investigators were doing little more than covering up war crimes," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch.
In October 2016, a coalition airstrike killed 140 people at a funeral in the rebel-held capital Sanaa.
In the most recent deadly incident, forty children were among 51 people killed in a Saudi-led coalition airstrike on a bus in rebel-held northern Yemen in August.
Yemen's devastating conflict has left nearly 10,000 people dead since March 2015, when a Saudi-led coalition intervened to fight Houthi rebels closing in on the last bastion of President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi's government.
The UN human rights office said Tuesday that some 6,660 civilians were among the dead, while more than 10,500 had been injured.
The UN has already described the situation in Yemen as world's worst humanitarian crisis.
Follow us on Twitter: @The_NewArab