Thousands of Yemenis displaced in past six months: report
Tens of thousands of Yemenis were forced to leave their homes in the past six month period in 2021, according to a report published on Tuesday.
From January 1 to June 19 - some 6,292 households experienced displacement at least once in Yemen, which includes over 37,000 individuals, data from the International Organisation of Migration (IOM) revealed.
From June 13 to 19, in the six days when data on displacement was collected, over 900 individuals were forced to flee in Yemen, which after six years of war is dubbed the world's worst humanitarian crisis by the United Nations.
There were no "returnees" - households who returned to their homes - in those six days, the report added.
"Yemen is already the world's worst humanitarian crisis, and the Covid-19 pandemic has just compounded the situation," said Olivia Headon, IOM media and public relations officer for Yemen to Swissinfo.
The worst affected region for displacement was in the strategic city of Marib, east of the capital, where 2,570 households were forced to flee in the six month period.
The area has experienced intense fighting between Houthi rebels and government forces since February, resulting in thousands killed and tens of thousands injured.
The Iran-backed rebels are seeking to seize control of Marib and its surrounding oil fields, the Yemeni government's last stronghold in the north.
"In Marib, the displacement crisis shows no sign of improving," read a report by IOM published in March 2021.
The number of displacements per week peaked in February, exceeding 1,000 households displaced in the week following February 20.
Since then, numbers have been lower, averaging around 200 to 400 households per week. However, there has been a steady increase in households leaving their homes since mid-May.
The report identified the main needs of displaced Yemenis as shelter first, then financial support followed by food.
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) provides emergency food assistance to thousands of newly displaced households in the country.
The WFP urgently needs an additional $425 million to ensure their operations can continue, the organisation said in May. This includes $287 million for general food assistance.