Trump announces funding halt to World Health Organization

Trump announces funding halt to World Health Organization over alleged coronavirus ‘cover-up’
2 min read
15 April, 2020
Donald Trump has announced a suspension of US funding to the World Health Organization, accusing the international health body of “mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.”
Trump announced the funding suspension at a press conference [Getty]

President Donald Trump announced a suspension of US funding to the World Health Organization on Tuesday evening, accusing the UN-affiliated health body of covering up the seriousness of the COVID-19 outbreak in China before it spread around the world.

Trump told a press conference he was instructing his administration to halt funding while "a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization's role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus."

According to Trump, the WHO prevented transparency over the outbreak and the United States - the UN body's biggest funder which provided $400 million last year - will now "discuss what we do with all that money that goes to the WHO."

"With the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America's generosity has been put to the best use possible."

Trump's attack on the WHO reflects his belief that the organization is biased toward China and colluded to prevent the United States' main economic rival from having to be open about the unfolding health disaster.

He says this cost other countries crucial time to prepare and delayed decisions to stop international travel.

Read also: UK coronavirus response forces most vulnerable to shoulder the burden

"The WHO's attack on travel restrictions put political correctness above life-saving measures," he said.

"Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China's lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death," Trump added.

"This would have saved thousands of lives and avoided worldwide economic damage. Instead, the WHO willingly took China's assurances to face value... and defended the actions of the Chinese government," the US president opined.

Critics have pointed out that for weeks after the coronavirus epidemic began unfolding, Trump frequently praised Beijing's response and downplayed the danger it posed to the US.



Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to stay connected